Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Tale of the Trolley and other Adventures

    Last Thursday I went on a scavenger hunt around the city with the girls from Vision San Diego. We rode on the trolley to find each landmark for our hunt. First we stopped by Old Town which is like an old western version of San Diego. Our next stop was "The Kissing Couple" a.k.a. "Unconditional Surrender" which is a statue that I've wanted to see since I got here. Then we went to the Gaslamp Quarter and ate lunch at the Cheese Shop! Next we stopped by Fashion Valley (a mall) and Qualcom Stadium. Finally, we made it to the border of Mexico for our last stop of the day. It was a lot of fun, but we were really tired after it was over. 

    I met an interesting character while we were riding the trolley to the border. He was an older black man ( I think in his 60's) named Leroy. He was sitting behind me on the trolley talking to two of our girls. I overheard him say his name was Leroy. As we passed Petco Park, I turned to show the girls, and he turned to look at me. When he did I said, "Hey, Leroy!" So he got all excited and gave me a hug because he thought I knew him. So then he talked to me for the rest of the ride to the border, which was about 20 minutes. He definitely made my day because he was so funny and really liked to talk. I couldn't understand half of what he said, but I would just nod and agree with him. It's not very often that you get to meet a person like Leroy. 
    
    On Tuesday, I got into a fight with some Jewish kids. It was all in good fun, though. Their youth group invited us to join their annual water balloon/cream pie capture the flag, and of course we accepted the challenge. So naturally, Tuesday was very cold here, but once we started playing we warmed up. We all got soaked, and I still haven't gotten my feet clean from running around barefoot on the concrete. It was definitely worth it, though. We had a lot of fun - but the Jews were much better than us.

    Then yesterday (Wednesday), I had to teach the children a Bible lesson again. It went much better this week because the lesson was on their level so they could actually understand what I was saying, and I tried to make it fun for them. They were so cute - I would ask them a question and they would kind of answer it but then get distracted and talk about something totally different. They did a good job listening though. I only have one more lesson to teach them next week, and then I'm gonna be teaching the youth on Wednesday's. I'm really excited! I finally feel like I'm getting something accomplished.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Hey, girlie! SOunds like your summer's going great! I am praying for you! Send me your address and I'll send you some goodies (karenshumaker@charterinternet.com)

love ya,
karen